Thursday, August 27, 2015

The List

Okay, so, I'm one of those people who likes to act like I have a plan months in advance, but in reality, I'm always just as rushed and panicked as anyone else at crunch time. Actually, I almost always have a plan, a great plan... It's following through with the plan and making sure the steps actually happen that I fail (miserably) at.

Anyway, I have a plan, for this whole college thing. I've been thinking ahead, for when I move half way across the country (totally excited about that, not freaking out at all btw). It involves a casual process of beginning my packing/prepping now. I don't leave till after Christmas, and some people would say I'm kind of rushing things. "Sit back, relax, you've got four months." 

Hahahahaaha, oh yeah, four months, plenty of time..... NO.

Let me put it this way. On a typical work week, I have.... No days off. Yeah, that sounds about right. I do tend to have one or two short days, four or five hour shifts. Four months roughly translates to 112 days. That's 2,688 hours. Take away 896 for the 8 hours of sleep I'm supposed to get every night (lol), and I have 1,792 hours. Take away the estimated 48 hours of work I do in a week and I'm down to 1,024 hours. That's about 43 days (rounded up) before I leave. I'm willing to bet that at least one day a week I will be distracted by friend/family events. Well, sure I need to pack, but so and so really wants to go see that movie and hey, so do I. Not to mention, I haven 't been to my grandparents in months... That's got to happen at least a couple times before I go. 

27 days. Let's get real, when I say one day a week I really mean two (I love my people, what can I say). Also, in about two weeks one of my besties from out of state is going to come stay with me. While she's here I foresee myself getting nothing done (aside from having mega amounts of fun that is) so that's 7 more days I won't have. 

4 days to pack up and take off. Woooooooot. Yeah, I'm starting now. Plus, if I get as much done now as I possibly can, when it comes down to the week of Christmas and my last days here, I can take some extra time to chill.... Right.... Right guys? 

All that to say, I sat down last night and read over some very helpful "what no one tells you about packing for freshman year" articles and compiled a list of things to buy starting now. 

-  good winter/work boots. Waterproof and not too ugly, I know I shouldn't be worrying about fashion, but they're boots and I am female. Plus I don't want them to be too heavy. I hate bulky shoes they make me feel like I have weights on my feet.

- a good winter coat. Every time I tell someone that I'm moving toMinnesota, they all say the same thing, "bring a good coat!" Today, when I was at the park with the kids, I ran into a lady from Minnesota. I told her I would be moving there in January and she laughed... Then proceeded to tell me about good coat brands. She told me about one and followed up with, "it's really warm, you can stand outside for a good 20 minutes without getting cold!" .... 20 minutes? I have 20 minutes outside before I lose a life. This to a girl who lives outdoors. Yay. 

- heated blanket. I hate being cold. I love my bed. Two things that should never EVER mix is being cold while I'm in my bed. Just no. Of course I'll bring lots of other blankets too, but this is for when I'm already under a pile of 10 and can still feel the chill in my toes because I was outside for 21 minutes. 

- twin size sheets. My bed is a double, gonna need some sheets to fit the dorm mattress. Yvonne Estelle's Sferra Milo's sheet set, obvi. 

- earplugs. I'm a light sleeper, breath too close and you will disturb my slumber. Not the best fit for dorm life. 

- shower caddy ... Cause duh 

- rug. This one is kind of optional. Rugs are cool, they add a homie feel but they don't really take up any extra space. 

- "Tide to Go" pen, or any kind of easy on the spot stain remover. I don't want my style to turn from "grunge" to "gross." 

- Clorox wipes and febreeze. Yay, dorms! 

- power strip

- cheapo printer and some ink. Yes, they have printers on campus, but I kind of feel like this will be a cheaper option in the long run. Another optional item though. 

So far that's all I've got. Not too overwhelming, but only if I can start now, that way I won't be spending all the money in one go. Obviously this isn't all I'll be bringing, just the things I don't already own. 

Any suggestions? Advice? I know there are stores in Minnesota (Mall of America, woot) but I want to have as much of it as possible beforehand. The less I have to worry about when I get there, the better.


With Love,
Trishelle

No comments:

Post a Comment